University of Illinois

Haythornthwaite Appointed Director of LIS Program at UBC

Posted: Jun. 8, 2010

Professor Caroline Haythornthwaite has been appointed director of the School of Library, Archival and Information Studies at the University of British Columbia (UBC). Her five-year term will begin in August 2010.

Haythornthwaite, who was Leverhulme Visiting Professor at the Institute of Education at University of London for the 2009-10 academic year, has been on the GSLIS faculty since 1996. She has an international reputation in multiple research fields: Internet research, computer-mediated communication, e-learning, social network analysis, and social informatics. She was among the first to apply social network analysis to the study of online communities and online learning, and she has produced seminal work in these areas. She has authored more than 50 highly cited book chapters and scholarly articles and has co-edited three books. Major publications include The Internet in Everyday Life (Blackwell, 2002, with Barry Wellman); Learning, Culture and Community in Online Education: Research and Practice (Peter Lang, 2004, with Michelle M. Kazmer), and the Handbook of E-Learning Research (Sage, 2007, with Richard Andrews).

"We're very sorry to see Caroline go," said John Unsworth, dean of GSLIS. "She's an excellent teacher and scholar, and she's been a key member of the social informatics group within our faculty, and on campus. However, I know that Caroline's been interested for some time in leading a program in our field, and I'm glad for her that she found an opportunity to do that. UBC is lucky that they are the opportunity she found: I'm sure she'll do a great job, and I look forward to continuing to work with her in this new capacity."

"I am very pleased about taking up my new position as Director of the School of Library, Archival and Information Studies, University of British Columbia," said Haythornthwaite. "The strengths of SLAIS include a well-established reputation in the fields of LIS and archival studies, supported by its student body, a strong field of junior faculty, and the commitment of its senior scholars. It was a difficult decision to leave GSLIS, but I am not moving far academically. I look forward to meeting current and future students and colleagues at many LIS venues for many years to come."

GSLIS on Youtube GSLIS on Twitter GSLIS on LinkedIn GSLIS on Facebook