Flota highlighted in SLA 'Illuminate Illinois' feature

[image1-right:resize-180w]Brian Flota (MS '13) is the focus of a recent Illuminate Illinois feature by the Special Libraries Association (SLA) Illinois Chapter. He recently was hired as the English librarian at James Madison University. In the interview with SLA, Flota discussed how his previous experience as a PhD student in English influenced his decision to pursue a degree at GSLIS and a career in LIS:

What advanced degree/s do you have? Any comment on how that fits with your work or goals today?

I received my PhD in English from the George Washington University in 2006 and just recently earned my MS in library and information science from [the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign] in May 2013. My current position combines my strength in teaching and research from my previous career as an English professor with the skills I acquired as a special librarian while at [Illinois].

Are you in the job today that you thought you would be [in] 10 years ago? What was something you were doing then that influenced your eventual career path?

Ten years ago, I thought I was either going to be a novelist or an English professor. As I was working on my dissertation proposal, and otherwise working on scholarship to make me become increasingly familiar with library resources—especially archives, special collections, interlibrary loan, and databases—I became constantly reminded of the value of libraries.

Tags:
Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni

PhD at 75: Jeanie Austin

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. Jeanie Austin (PhD '17) is a jail and reentry services librarian at San Francisco Public Library.

Jeanie Austin

Quiballo selected for I Love My Librarian Award

Ted Quiballo (MSLIS '17) has been selected for a 2024 I Love My Librarian Award. Honorees were selected for their outstanding public service accomplishments. The award is administered by the American Library Association.

Ted Quiballo

iSchool course leads to career with United Airlines

For Elysia Woodward (BSIS '23), it was an introductory class, Exploring the iSchool with a Human-Centered Lens (IS 100), that kickstarted her career. Now an associate in the ECDLP (Early Career Digital Leadership Program) at United Airlines, Woodward found out about United's internship programs and the ECDLP program through IS 100. She applied for an internship position in the summer of 2022 and received a return offer as an ECDLP associate.

Elysia Woodward

PhD at 75: LaTesha Velez

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. LaTesha Velez (PhD '17) is an assistant professor at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

LaTesha Velez