Get to know Juliana Perry (MS '09), web services project manager

Photo by Hugh Casey

[image1-right]An assistantship with the Instructional Technology and Design (ITD) office at GSLIS prepared Juliana Perry for her current position as web services project manager at Bryn Mawr College. According to Perry, her degree in LIS brings a new perspective to the IT world.

Where do you work and what is your role?

I work at Bryn Mawr College as the web services project manager, which involves user support for the 100+ folks who maintain various office and department websites as well as project management for the web group.

What do you like best about your job?

I like that I work with a fantastic team of people (including my manager, Vince Patone, formerly of GSLIS ITD), that our merged library and IT setup that allows frequent collaboration with fellow librarians, and that Bryn Mawr is a really supportive environment in which to work as a woman in IT. And the small school means that I get to wear a number of different hats, which I like, even if fewer resources are a challenge at times . . . although I'm sad we don't have actual funny hats like the GSLIS Help Desk does!

How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?

My assistantship with ITD is the most obvious connection: Jill, Karla, Matt, and everybody else taught me a lot about providing excellent user support and about communicating effectively with users. Martin Wolske's LIS 451 class is still something I think about when troubleshooting. The whole GSLIS experience gave me valuable tools for thinking about how to organize information on the web, for doing research, and for managing projects.

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?

It's definitely worth considering jobs outside the more traditional LIS positions. If you're interested in IT, a number of us librarians are really happy in it (my manager and our CMS consultant both have LIS degrees—we're definitely ready to tackle taxonomies for the website!), and I think we have a unique and very relevant perspective on IT.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

I like to walk around Philadelphia and explore. I'm still getting to know my home, and I'm enjoying getting to know more of the East Coast. I'm the volunteer webmaster for Wiscon, a feminist science fiction convention, and I go to some other science fiction and steampunk events out here. Shockingly, I also spend a lot of time reading—mostly science fiction and fantasy, including YA.

What’s next for you?

We're just getting into a CMS migration at Bryn Mawr, so I'm excited to be getting a lot of hands-on experience with Drupal as well as with management of a project this extensive. After that, we'll see.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Elsessers donate $1M to the iSchool in support of faculty and school librarianship

Thanks to a new $1-million gift from Lionelle (BA English '66, MSLIS '67) and James (BS Business '66, MS Business '67) Elsesser, the iSchool will be better able to attract and retain outstanding faculty and educate future school librarians. Their latest donation will be directed to the iSchool Alumni Association Endowed Professorship Fund, Leigh Estabrook Faculty Development Fund, and Public School Licensure Program Fund.

James and Lionelle Elsesser

Senior Spotlight: Colton Keiser

After graduating with his BSIS degree in May, Colton Keiser will head to St. Louis to work as an internal audit and financial advisory consultant with Protiviti. He gained experience in auditing while working as an intern for the Montgomery County Public Defender in his hometown of Hillsboro, Illinois.

Colton Keiser

Get to know Michael Ferrer, MSIM student

After spending some time in the defense IT industry, Michael Ferrer decided to return to school for his MSIM degree to gain skills in areas such as data visualization and advance his career. Outside of his studies, Ferrer is a competitive ballroom dancer and member of the Illinois Army National Guard.

Michael Ferrer

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni