Get to Know Lindsey Carpino, MS student/law reference associate

[image1-right]To help accomplish her goal of becoming a law librarian, LEEP student Lindsey Carpino, JD, balances teaching law courses to paralegal students, working as a reference associate at a law school, and taking GSLIS courses.

Why did you decide to pursue an LIS degree?

I wanted to pursue an LIS degree because I developed an interest in becoming a law librarian while I worked as a reference fellow during law school.

Why did you choose GSLIS?

I picked GSLIS because many of my mentors went through this program, and I had heard such great things. I chose the LEEP option since it is a flexible approach to attaining my master's degree.

What particular LIS topics interest you most?

I am particularly interested in academic law librarianship, specifically at a law school library. My favorite GSLIS course has been LIS 504 Reference. I loved this course because reference is my primary interest. We completed reference questions from different sources each week, which is great experience! I can apply what I have learned in class to my current and future jobs.

What surprises you about the field of LIS?

The overwhelming kindness and resourcefulness of librarians surprises me the most. All the GSLIS students go out of their way to help their fellow classmates and so do all of the librarians I have come in contact with. It is such a friendly and welcoming community.

What do you do outside of class?

Outside of my GSLIS classes, I teach law courses to paralegal students, both on campus and online. I also work as a reference associate at a law school. In addition, I am doing some wedding planning, as I am getting married.

What career plans or goals do you have?

Upon graduation I would love to work as a reference librarian at a law school library in the Chicagoland area. I would also love to teach legal research courses to law students.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou

Dual degree program a perfect fit for Byington

Richard Byington wanted to pursue a master's degree in Russian, East European, and Eurasian studies (REEES) at the University of Illinois, but after learning that he could earn an MSLIS at the same time, he decided to enroll in the dual degree program.

Richard Byington

Hu defends dissertation

Doctoral candidate Yuerong Hu successfully defended her dissertation, "Complexities and Nuances of Online Book Reviews in Scholarly Research," on March 6.

Yuerong Hu

iSchool undergraduate launches new initiative to promote women in data science

A new student organization at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign will promote diversity and inclusion in data science and empower women in the STEM field. Samridhi Verma, BSIS+DS student and an ambassador for Women in Data Science (WiDS) Worldwide, launched the new initiative because of her interest in fostering a community where students and professionals can connect, share insights, and grow together. WiDS Urbana-Champaign welcomes individuals of all genders who support the cause, including students, professionals, and academics from a variety of backgrounds and expertise levels in data science and related fields.

Samridhi Verma

Uplifting diverse communities through advocacy, art

Leep (MSLIS online) student Katherine Witzig is an advocate, scholar, and artist. She is a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and an advocate within the 2SLGBTQ+ and disability communities, drawing upon her personal experiences to amplify the voices of underserved populations. 

Katherine Witzig