Get to know Courtney Busscher, MS student & SLA president

[image1-right]Courtney Busscher came to GSLIS to pursue an interdisciplinary degree that would complement her broad interests—including literature, psychology, and languages—and prepare her for work in a fast-paced environment. As a data management intern, Foreign Language and Area Studies fellow, and president of the Special Libraries Association student group, she's making the most of her last semester at the iSchool.

Why did you decide to pursue an LIS degree?

I started college with a double major in English and psychology, intending to continue on to graduate school and pursue a PhD in literature of some variety. While in college, I worked in the library, first in circulation and then at the reference desk. I thoroughly enjoyed working with students as well as with the librarians. I realized that my interests were much broader than English literature and that a more interdisciplinary career would be better for me. After some thought, I realized that I already had in my part-time job what I would love to do for the rest of my life—work as a librarian.

Why did you choose GSLIS?

My husband and I were planning to spend a year volunteering abroad after we graduated, so we both needed to find programs in the same graduate school that would accept us and defer our enrollment for one year while we were living in Peru. We sat down one day with the U.S. News and World Report graduate school rankings. The University of Illinois, aside from being the best graduate school for library and information science, was also located in the Midwest (which was important in choosing a law school for my husband) and gave us good value financially.

What particular LIS topics interest you most?

My interests continue to be varied, and they have definitely changed since I started the LIS program. Currently, I am interested in information needs in legal settings ranging from better information organization and structure to increased efficiency, to research, to information security issues (although that last item is more of a beginning curiosity; I am hoping to learn more about that in the future).

What surprises you about the field of LIS?

Two things that continue to surprise me about LIS are the variety within the field and how little most people know about what librarians and information professionals really do.

What do you do outside of class?

I am currently working as a data management intern at EnterpriseWorks at the Research Park. In addition to my LIS classes this year, I was awarded a Foreign Language and Area Studies fellowship, which means I am also taking Arabic and global studies classes. I love languages and hope to learn (and hopefully remember) seven languages over my lifetime, so this was a great fit. I am also enjoying being the president of our student chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA). GSLIS has so many wonderful and talented students, and I am blessed to be able to get to know them through SLA. Outside of school, I enjoy volunteering with Books to Prisoners here in Urbana and baking.

What career plans or goals do you have?

I would love to work in a law firm or a courthouse doing research and solving information problems. I think that the intensity and fast-paced nature will suit me well and challenge me to continue growing after I graduate. Since I have experience working in a college library, I know that I would also enjoy working in an academic setting, perhaps in an area having to do with languages or global studies, which have been lifelong interests of mine.

Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou

Dual degree program a perfect fit for Byington

Richard Byington wanted to pursue a master's degree in Russian, East European, and Eurasian studies (REEES) at the University of Illinois, but after learning that he could earn an MSLIS at the same time, he decided to enroll in the dual degree program.

Richard Byington

Hu defends dissertation

Doctoral candidate Yuerong Hu successfully defended her dissertation, "Complexities and Nuances of Online Book Reviews in Scholarly Research," on March 6.

Yuerong Hu

iSchool undergraduate launches new initiative to promote women in data science

A new student organization at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign will promote diversity and inclusion in data science and empower women in the STEM field. Samridhi Verma, BSIS+DS student and an ambassador for Women in Data Science (WiDS) Worldwide, launched the new initiative because of her interest in fostering a community where students and professionals can connect, share insights, and grow together. WiDS Urbana-Champaign welcomes individuals of all genders who support the cause, including students, professionals, and academics from a variety of backgrounds and expertise levels in data science and related fields.

Samridhi Verma

Uplifting diverse communities through advocacy, art

Leep (MSLIS online) student Katherine Witzig is an advocate, scholar, and artist. She is a member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and an advocate within the 2SLGBTQ+ and disability communities, drawing upon her personal experiences to amplify the voices of underserved populations. 

Katherine Witzig