Get to know Ruth Riley (MS '85), director of library services

Get%20to%20know%20Ruth%20Riley.JPG?itok= Ruth Riley "instinctively knew" that she was meant to work in medical librarianship. She's built a successful career in academic medical libraries and is now an administrator looking ahead to the changing information needs of medical students and practitioners.

Where do you work and what is your role?

I work at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine in Columbia, South Carolina where I serve as the assistant dean for executive affairs and director of library services. In this role, I assist the dean of the School of Medicine with executive affairs and administration of the School of Medicine. I work closely with the dean, associate deans, department chairs, and the central administration of the University on strategic planning, faculty affairs, global health and community engagement. I'm also responsible for overall direction of the School of Medicine Library and oversee a staff of eight professional librarians and eleven full-time equivalent staff.

What do you like best about your job?

I find academic medicine to be an intellectually stimulating environment. It gives me the opportunity to work with faculty and students who are highly motivated to teach and learn the art and science of medicine and are committed to improving the health of people through their patient care and research. Since the practice of medicine is increasingly becoming evidence-based, our users value the library's e-resources, tutorials, and expertise. Working so closely with the School of Medicine dean and associate deans is giving me excellent insight into the politics, pressures, and economics of academic medical centers and how academic medical libraries can help further the mission of our medical school. It's a fascinating and challenging job!

How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?

The GSLIS medical reference course really laid the foundation for my career in medical librarianship. I was very fortunate to have David King (MS '78, PhD '94) and Spencer Marsh, doctoral students, as instructors. They instilled in me an appreciation of the unique nature of medical librarianship. When looking at job ads prior to graduation, I came across an ad for an information services librarian at the J. Otto Lottes Health Sciences Library at the University of Missouri and instinctively knew that it was the job for me. After working in four academic medical libraries, I strongly believe that medical librarianship is one of the most challenging and interesting types of librarianship in our profession. My GSLIS education also made it possible for me to obtain valuable reference and online searching experience in the Education and Social Sciences Library and at the Main Library reference desk that made me an attractive candidate to employers. Professor Linda Smith was also a very valuable advisor to me.

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?

If at all possible, take the opportunity to work in the University Library system while you're there. It is such a rich source of training and experience. Get involved in the Special Libraries Association student group to explore potential career paths in special libraries, including medical libraries. Join the Midwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association. It's free for students, provides great benefits, and looks good on your resume! If you're interested in learning more about medical librarianship, contact me or seek out other medical librarians for advice.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

Tennis, cooking and eating Indian, Italian, and Mexican food, and playing with my pug, lab, and three cats!

What's next for you?

Although I'm really enjoying my work in the Office of the Dean, my heart will always be in the School of Medicine Library. I hope to help the library wisely navigate the coming years and develop new services that are driven by the changing information needs of our faculty and students.

Research Areas:
Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Senior Spotlight: Colton Keiser

After graduating with his BSIS degree in May, Colton Keiser will head to St. Louis to work as an internal audit and financial advisory consultant with Protiviti. He gained experience in auditing while working as an intern for the Montgomery County Public Defender in his hometown of Hillsboro, Illinois.

Colton Keiser

Get to know Michael Ferrer, MSIM student

After spending some time in the defense IT industry, Michael Ferrer decided to return to school for his MSIM degree to gain skills in areas such as data visualization and advance his career. Outside of his studies, Ferrer is a competitive ballroom dancer and member of the Illinois Army National Guard.

Michael Ferrer

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni

PhD at 75: Jeanie Austin

The PhD degree program at the iSchool celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2023. This profile is part of a special series featuring PhD alumni. Jeanie Austin (PhD '17) is a jail and reentry services librarian at San Francisco Public Library.

Jeanie Austin