Get to know MS student Flannery Crump & alumna Amy Crump (MS '05)

Flannery (left) and Amy Crump

Crumps_edited.jpg?itok=Y-0_vtDp It’s no surprise that MS student Flannery Crump chose GSLIS when she decided to pursue a career in LIS. The program was recommended to her by a reliable source—her mother, Amy Crump. She’s following in her mother’s footsteps toward a career in public librarianship.

Flannery Crump

Why did you decide to pursue an LIS degree?
All throughout my childhood, my parents would take me to the library. I can't remember the first time I went to a library because it was probably when I was a baby. I have the most fond memories of living in Champaign, Illinois, when I was younger and walking to the Champaign Public Library almost every day. Then when I was about twelve or thirteen, my mom started working on her MS in library and information science through the University of Illinois. I got to watch as she got a job as a library director right out of school! Through her, I learned more details about the inner workings of a public library, and I was hooked. I've always loved libraries, and I find myself especially simpatico with the ideals of public libraries. I love the idea of being able to help provide so many services to all community members, and to uphold the ideals of free dissemination of information.

Why did you choose GSLIS?
I chose GSLIS at Illinois partially because that's where my mother went, so I knew from her that it was a good program, and partially because I could do the entire program online, which works better for my current living situation. I work two part-time jobs at public libraries in the western suburbs of Chicago, so taking classes online works best with my schedule.

What particular LIS topics interest you most?
LIS topics that interest me include open access, cataloging, and anything involving public services. I'm still only in my second semester, but I'm trying to branch out and take a wide variety of classes so that I can figure out what aspect of LIS suits me best.

What do you do outside of class?
Outside of class, I work. Haha! I enjoy my jobs. I work part time in Adult Services at the White Oak Library District, and I work part time as a page at the Westmont Public Library. To unwind, I like cooking, watching TV, reading, and cross-stitching. I currently live in an apartment in Westmont with my boyfriends. We have two cats, and soon we hope to have a praying mantis.

What career plans or goals do you have?
I'm still figuring this out, honestly. I'm not 100% sure what LIS field I'd like to go into. I'm pretty sure I want to stay in public libraries, but I am keeping an open mind and trying to find my path. My only long-term goal is to find a job that I love to do--hopefully one that will have a nice enough wage that I can order sushi from time to time, lol. Other than that, I'm not super ambitious. I like helping people in small ways, and I think working in public libraries will allow me to do that.

Amy Crump

Where do you work and what is your role?
I work at the Homewood (Illinois) Public Library District, and I am the administrative librarian (also known as the director).

What do you like best about your job?
I very much enjoy when a patron is disgruntled about something and the opportunity I have to see them leave happier than they arrived.

How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?
My advisor, Curt McKay (MS ’88), kept telling me that I would be a good library director. It took a great deal of convincing for me because I wanted to be a teen librarian. If Curt hadn't planted that seed, I wouldn't have even applied for a library director position. (And my first job right out of GSLIS was as a library director.)

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?
If it ain't broke, fix it anyway.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
Storytelling, reading

What’s next for you?
Hopefully, a long tenure at the Homewood Public Library.

Research Areas:
Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Elsessers donate $1M to the iSchool in support of faculty and school librarianship

Thanks to a new $1-million gift from Lionelle (BA English '66, MSLIS '67) and James (BS Business '66, MS Business '67) Elsesser, the iSchool will be better able to attract and retain outstanding faculty and educate future school librarians. Their latest donation will be directed to the iSchool Alumni Association Endowed Professorship Fund, Leigh Estabrook Faculty Development Fund, and Public School Licensure Program Fund.

James and Lionelle Elsesser

iSchool researchers present at iConference 2024

The following iSchool faculty and students participated in the virtual portion of iConference 2024 from April 15-18. The in-person portion of the conference will be held in Changchun, China, from April 22-26. The theme of this year’s conference is "Wisdom, Well-being, Win-win."

Wegrzyn awarded SMART Scholarship

PhD student Emily Wegrzyn has been selected for the prestigious Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship-for-Service Program, which is funded by the Department of Defense. The primary aim of this program is to increase the number of civilian engineers and scientists in the U.S. 

Emily Wegrzyn

Senior Spotlight: Colton Keiser

After graduating with his BSIS degree in May, Colton Keiser will head to St. Louis to work as an internal audit and financial advisory consultant with Protiviti. He gained experience in auditing while working as an intern for the Montgomery County Public Defender in his hometown of Hillsboro, Illinois.

Colton Keiser