1. Personal Statement
Please submit a one- to two-page personal statement concerning your interest in pursuing a degree in this School and field. While you may highlight aspects of your academic and professional experiences, use this space to describe your goals beyond what you include in your resume. This essay is required by the Graduate College: http://education.illinois.edu/ci/admissions/requirements
2. Interview Essay or Career Essay (choose one)
Choose A or B below:
Interview Essay: Visit a library, archive, museum, community network, corporate information office, or other information center (except your current place of employment)--somewhere you may be interested in working. Interview a professional staff member to identify the three most significant issues related to information services in this setting. Write a one- to two-page essay, discussing what you learned, including:
- What questions did you ask?
- Did you learn anything unexpected? Anything that changed your view of the library and information science profession?
- How do you think your educational experience at GSLIS might prepare you to address the issues you identified?
NOTES: Include information about your site and source. Students who plan to apply to the K-12 LIS Certification Program must conduct the interview with a K-12 librarian.
Career Essay: Choose one or more job ads for a career related to information management that interests you. In a brief 1-2 page essay, address these questions:
- What do you find exciting about this career?
- What expertise (knowledge, skills, etc.) would you need in order to be successful in this career?
- How do you believe that graduate study at GSLIS will prepare you for this challenge?
Related careers include work in information management, data analytics, data curation, knowledge management, user experience, business research, information policy, competitive intelligence, social media, digital media, and more.