H: Drive (File Storage)
You have a Home Drive or H: Drive on the GSLIS domain which is available to you when you login to any machine in GSLIS (including those in the LRL, CTL and GSLIS classrooms) as well as remotely.
You have 512 MB of file storage space in your H: drive.
Files on the H: Drive can be accessed using the following methods:
I: Drive (Web Publishing)
Your I: drive is a web-accessible file storage system that is available both within the GSLIS building and remotely. Before using your I: Drive, you must read the tutorial and enable your I: Drive web space.
Once you've enabled your I: Drive, you can place content in one of three folders:
- people_html is publicly available. This space is intended to be a professional space to keep materials such as a CV or resume. The URL for files in people_html will be
- courseweb_html is publicly available. This space is intended to house any assignment or web page that you want to share with the world. The URL for files in courseweb_html will be
- courseweb_htmls is not publicly available. Material housed in this directory is limited to users with GSLIS domain accounts. It is recommended that you store your assignments in this space. The URL for files in courseweb_htmls will be
https://courseweb.lis.illinois.edu/~NetID/filename (NOTE the https).
- In each of these examples, replace NetID with your UIUC NetID.
- In each of these examples, replace filename with your filename (including extension) OR foldername/filename.
- File storage space will be available for two years after you leave GSLIS.
- the URLs are CaSe sensitive! Also, you should avoid having spaces or unusual characters in your file names (- and _ are acceptible).
- indexing and scripting (mysql, php, perl, ruby, python) have been turned off by default but are available. To enable indexing or scripting, you must create and edit a file named .htaccess.
- Connect to the classroom servers via SSH.
- Type in (without the quotes) "cd ../../homei/users/NetID/foldername" - Replace NetID with your own NetID. Replace foldername with the location you want indexing enabled.
- Type in (without quotes) "pico .htaccess" and press the Enter key.
- You are now in what looks like a word processor (you are actually running a word processing program called Pico). For indexing, type in (without quotes) "Options +Indexes". For scripting, use the line (without quotes) "AddHandler cgi-script .cgi".
- Press Ctrl and X to exit editing mode. Type Y to "Yes, save Modified Buffer" and then press Enter to save the file named .htaccess.
- To check if indexing is enabled, type in (without quotes) "ls -a" and press Enter. You should see .htaccess as a listed file.
Files on the I: Drive can be accessed using the following methods:
Instructor Drive (Web Publishing)
Instructors also have a course directory which contains two web enabled directories:
- public_html is publicly available. The URL for files in public_html will be
- public_htmls is password protected and restricted to members of the class, admins and others assigned rights. The URL for files in public_htmls will be
https://courseweb.lis.illinois.edu/lis/2009fa/lis590xx/filename (NOTE the https)
- You have 500 MB of file storage space in the Instructor Drive per class.
- substitute semester and course for the correct semester and course number.
- the URLs are CaSe sensitive!
Files on the Instructor Drive can be accessed using the following methods:
U of I Box (File storage)
U of I Box provides file storage space for students (5 gigabytes of space), staff and faculty (15 gigabytes of space). U of I Box provides secure, legal storage and access of confidential FERPA data. In addition, U of I Box gives you the ability to share files with other users.
For more information, see the University of Illinois Box documentation.
Your file storage access provided through NetFiles will expire soon after graduation. File storage with GSLIS will be available for two years after you graduate. Please consult our Leaving GSLIS guide for more information on account expiration.