GSLIS researchers partner with many organizations and have a number of research collaborators, both on campus and around the world.
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Library of Congress
- Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity
- Illinois Department of Children & Family Services
- Illinois State Library
- Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- GSLIS Corporate Engagement
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
- University Consortium of Geographic Information Science (UCGIS)
Each year, GSLIS faculty appoint Research Fellows for two-year terms. Fellows are chosen because their work is relevant to the interests of GSLIS faculty and students, and each will give at least one lecture during their appointment.