Get to know Gwen Harrison (MS '97), network specialist and ILEAD project director

My%20staff%20photo.JPG?itok=4oDPrn3A Throughout her career at the Illinois State Library, alumna Gwen Harrison has embraced leadership roles that have allowed her to make a difference in the working lives of librarians across the state and in the lives of their patrons. She was recognized for her contributions to the state in 2013, when she received the Secretary of State’s Employee of the Year award.

Where do you work and what is your role?
I currently work at the Illinois State Library as the network specialist. No two days here are ever the same. One of my many duties is that I currently serve as the project director for ILEAD USA: Innovative Librarians Explore, Apply and Discover. Funded by an Institute of Museum and Library Services Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Grant and the Illinois State Library, this program is comprised of many moving parts. In a nutshell, teams of five persons elect to work together coupled with a mentor and a dynamic instructor corps in hopes of discovering a course of action, utilizing technology as its basis, to address a shared community issue. Over the course of nine months, these teams are plied with tools and information that will grow them professionally and personally. It has been a successful experiment.

I am also responsible for oversight for the Try-It! Illinois program, which allows for two months of unfettered access to a plethora of electronic databases at no cost to the individual. I also co-chair a biennial conference titled On the Front Lines that is designed for "front-lines" workers regardless of library type. I recently served as co-chair of the ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Committee. This committee was responsible for the updating and revision of the Interlibrary Loan Code which governs the sharing of library resources in Illinois. In the department that I currently work, we are also responsible for grants management and many other duties as assigned.

What do you like best about your job? How did GSLIS help you get to where you are today?
I find pleasure in the fact that the jobs we work at the Illinois State Library have a huge impact upon Illinoisans and beyond. This master’s degree has allowed me to work in a field and job that makes a difference in the lives of many people each and every day.

What advice would you like to share with GSLIS students?
My advice to GSLIS students would be that the sky is the limit. Take advantage of this advanced degree and let it be the ticket to opening doors and dreams that you never expected.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
In my spare time I enjoy Zumba and Cardio Jam dancing. From time to time I run 10k races. I spend quality time with my granddaughter as much as possible. I enjoy family and friends and consider myself the "Queen of Hospitality!” Life is good, and I attribute some of that to the opportunity to have obtained this advanced degree.

What’s next for you?
What's next? I keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities to always further my career. I maintain that the future does indeed remain bright in this field.

Research Areas:
Updated on
Backto the news archive

Related News

Elsessers donate $1M to the iSchool in support of faculty and school librarianship

Thanks to a new $1-million gift from Lionelle (BA English '66, MSLIS '67) and James (BS Business '66, MS Business '67) Elsesser, the iSchool will be better able to attract and retain outstanding faculty and educate future school librarians. Their latest donation will be directed to the iSchool Alumni Association Endowed Professorship Fund, Leigh Estabrook Faculty Development Fund, and Public School Licensure Program Fund.

James and Lionelle Elsesser

Senior Spotlight: Colton Keiser

After graduating with his BSIS degree in May, Colton Keiser will head to St. Louis to work as an internal audit and financial advisory consultant with Protiviti. He gained experience in auditing while working as an intern for the Montgomery County Public Defender in his hometown of Hillsboro, Illinois.

Colton Keiser

Get to know Michael Ferrer, MSIM student

After spending some time in the defense IT industry, Michael Ferrer decided to return to school for his MSIM degree to gain skills in areas such as data visualization and advance his career. Outside of his studies, Ferrer is a competitive ballroom dancer and member of the Illinois Army National Guard.

Michael Ferrer

Get to know Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou, PhD student

PhD student Kyrie Zhixuan Zhou's goal is to make information and communication technology (ICT) and artificial intelligence (AI) experiences more equitable, accessible, beneficial, and ethical for all. In his free time, he is devoted to helping junior researchers, especially those from populations not typically represented in STEM.

Zhixuan Zhou

Get to know Mojgan Momeni, executive director

Now the executive director of the World Innovations Network, Mojgan Momeni (MSLIS '09) credits her iSchool experience with leading her to discover her true passion—creating an innovative and entrepreneurial network model for global collaboration.

Mojgan Momeni